As we discover the world in Dahlonega and Beyond, we often travel in our Baby Blue Bug (aka BBB). As a VW convertible owner, D&B wanted to share some Ragtop Do's and Don'ts that we have discovered.
- Wave at other German convertible drivers...especially Mercedes owners. They love it!
- Anchor your 'flower' in your bud vase. Nothing worse than having your flying flower hit another car.
- Make sure the brakes work in case a bear or deer crosses your path. And yes, BBB narrowly escaped hitting both a bear and deer. Don't think either would have fit in the front or back seat.
- Find cover during a hail storm. Nothing spells headache like golf ball size hail stones hitting a rag top. D&B actually drove under a stranger's car port during one severe hail storm. The homeowner didn't quite know what to say.
- Put the top down on sunny wintery days. People will think you're crazy but you have the heater and seat heaters on so you're almost toasty.
- Don't put the top down if the temperature is above 95. Well you can, but be prepared to sweat big time.
- Don't try to talk on the cell phone either as a driver or passenger. The wind and speeding car noises make hearing hard on both the caller and the callee.
- Don't take the VW on a big shopping trip. Have you seen the trunk?
- Don't park under trees during the fall if the top is down. Unless of course, you're a leaf collector.
- Don't offer to loan your car to your 30 year old son. I am NOT driving a baby blue convertible around Atlanta, he is reported to have said.